BALTIMORE CITY ARCHIVES
(Court House Commissioners)
The Baltimore Court House Commissioners were created by the Maryland Legislature in 1835 to rebuild the Baltimore City and County Court House and Records Office which had been destroyed by fire on February 13th of that year. The commissioners were in existence from 1835 to 1840, the year that the new buildings were completed and opened for use. The new buildings housed meeting rooms, offices, and records of the Baltimore County Court and Orphan's Court of Baltimore County and were located on the corner of Lexington and Saint Paul Streets. Razed in 1894, the buildings made way for a larger court house.
Further information can be obtained from Morris L. Radoff, The County Courthouses and Records of Maryland. Part One: The Courthouses, Hall of Records Commission Publication no. 12 (Annapolis: Hall of Records Commission, 1960), pp. 17-37 and Richard J. Cox, "The Plight of American Municipal Archives: Baltimore, 1729-1979," American Archivist 42 (July 1979): 281-92.