BALTIMORE CITY ARCHIVES
(Central Payroll Division)
The payroll function of the city government was centralized in one bureau in 1924 on the recommendation of Mayor Jackson's commission on efficiency and economy. Previously city departments handled their own payroll matters. This central payroll bureau began operation in February 1924 and by January 1926 it was responsible for preparing all payrolls for municipal employees. This agency was part of the comptroller's office from 1924 until 1964 when it became part of the newly created department of finance. There have been only two Directors of Payroll, Elmer Bernhardt (1924-62) and Harry Deitchman (1962-present).
For more information see Frederick R. Stieff, The Government of a Great American City (Baltimore: H.G. Roebuck & Son, 1935), p. 352, and the final report of the commission on efficiency and economy found in the mayor's published message for 1927. A brief history of the bureau up to 1947 is in F610 (Bernhardt's personal files) for September 1947.