BALTIMORE CITY ARCHIVES
(Department of Audits)
Initial responsibility for municipal auditing activities lay with the register (RG32). Mounting duties in this area compelled the establishment in 1852 of an auditor (RG6), an office that was responsible for auditing municipal tax collections. The following year, however, the auditor's duties were changed to tax collection only, and all auditing duties were transferred back to the register. Another administrative change occurred in 1857 with creation of the comptroller's office (RG43). The comptroller, along with other powers, acquired complete control over all auditing procedures. In 1898, the new city charter provided for the position of an audit clerk under the comptroller. The clerk assumed most of the comptroller's auditing duties.
In 1955, the state published a report on Baltimore market conditions. The document stressed the importance of markets and urged that both the Marsh and Camden markets be relocated because of heavy traffic congestion. During the same year the state created the New Marsh Wholesale Produce Market Authority as an "instrumentality" of the mayor and city council with the powers "to acquire land for and to locate, build, alter, repair, maintain, own, and operate a wholesale produce market." The reason for creation of the authority was the need for the market's relocation. Accordingly the authority constructed a new market on Pulaski Highway in 1960. Another study In 1966 urged the organization of a wholesale market in the Baltimore-Washington corridor, and the state selected the authority as the best candidate to accomplish this. In 1967 the state established the Greater Baltimore Consolidated Wholesale Food Market Authority with the provision that the body absorb the New Marsh authority "at such time as the [new] market has reached such a state of completion that the tenants of the New Marsh Wholesale Produce Market Authority may move their business operations to the market." This was accomplished in late 1975.