BALTIMORE CITY ARCHIVES
The Baltimore Redevelopment Commission was authorized by the Maryland legislature in 1945 and established by the municipality the same year. Its functions were to assist private builders in acquiring sites at low cost, identifying slum areas, negotiating with the federal government for matching funds, selecting private builders, relocating of displaced tenants, demolition of existing structures, and restructuring of streets and utilities. As originally constituted, the commission consisted of five members appointed by the mayor and confirmed by the city council; this was increased to seven members in 1955. The following year the commission was abolished and its duties assumed by the Baltimore Urban Renewal and Housing Agency.
See: Laws of Maryland, 1945, ch. 1012; res. 10 (1945); res. 14 (1946); ord. 718 (1949); ord. 2 (1955).