| || ||Date||Series Name||Description||MSA Citation
| || Details||1813-1876||Financial Records||Assorted volumes recording the financial affairs of the port warden and other related agencies. The records are incomplete and include cash books, 1839-61, 4 vols.; ledgers, 1849-61 and 1870-76, 4 vols.; mud machine and dredging accounts, 1813-55, 2 vols.; wharfage and tonnage accounts, 1828-76, 2 vols.; and Patapsco River Commission accounts, 1853-76, 2 vols.||BRG39-1
| || Details||1797-1901||HRS Indexed Records|
Assorted documents generated by the Bureau of Harbors and its predecessors, the harbor board and Board of Port Wardens, including accounts, bills, and receipts; correspondence; reports; and specifications. Most items relate to the dredging of the harbor channel.
A separate item index is available at the Baltimore City Archives.
| || Details||1853-1865||Monthly Reports||Monthly reports of the port warden about dredging operations. Information includes names of men employed, pay, number of cubic yards excavated, number of scows
discharged, tons of fuel consumed by dredge, and a narrative description of activities.||BRG39-3
| || Details||1916-1951||Printed Material||Variety of items including the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers "Report Upon the Improvement of Rivers and Harbors in the Baltimore, Maryland District (1916, 1920); Port Development Commission, "The Port Development Plan of Baltimore, Maryland" (2 copies), 1920; Baltimore Harbor, Foundation Conditions," vol. 3, 1920; "Baltimore Harbor, Survey of Waterfront and Inland Warehouses," vol. 4, ca. 1920; "Harbor Engineer's Plan, McComas St. Bulkhead," 1922;
and U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, "Baltimore District Project Maps, River and Harbor," 1951.||BRG39-4
| || Details||1822||Lewis Brantz Harbor Survey||Notes of a survey, conducted January 11 to February 21, of the basin and harbor authorized by the municipal government in 1820. This volume includes information on
weather conditions, soundings, and ranges compiled for the survey. There also is a copy of Brantz's final narrative report submitted on May 8, 1822 to the mayor and city council.||BRG39-5
| || Details||1877-1959||Drawings|
Collection of drawings of bridges, boats, and piers generated for use by the Bureau of Harbors. Vessels included are the iceboats "Annapolis" and "F.C. Latrobe," a harbor patrol boat, and the tugboat "Baltimore," which are represented through numerous detailed drawings such as cross sections, electrical and steam installations, diagrams of valve motion, boilers, connecting rods, and deck plans. Three bridges also comprise part of this series, the Hanover Street Bridge, the Pennington Avenue Causeway over Cabin Branch, and the Pennington Avenue Bridge over Curtis Creek.
The plans and drawings for these structures are quite extensive and include general plans and elevations, wiring diagrams, bascule piers, supports, cross sections, layouts of conduits and manholes, piling plans, and diagrams of operating machinery.
This series concludes with dredging, sounding, and tide charts for the harbor and several maps drawn or copied as part of the harbor study undertaken in the early 1950's, recording pierhead and bulkhead lines and proposed extensions of piers and wharves. This final section also includes copies of laws and ordinances relating to the Baltimore harbor.
A listing of the contents of the two reels of microfilm (BCA 1418-19) is available for use at the Baltimore City Archives.
| || Details||1852-1876||Minute Books, Harbor Commissioners and Basin and Harbor Commission|
This series includes the minutes of two different groups that dealt with problems in the Baltimore harbor. The Harbor Commissioners were established in 1852 (see ord. 59) to oversee the removal of obstructions from the channel of the Patapsco River. These minutes cover the period 1852 to 1875 in two volumes. The Basin and Harbor Commission was created in 1873 by the mayor and city council for the purpose of developing temporary and permanent solutions to the problem of sewerage in the harbor basin. These minutes cover the period 1873 to 1876 in two volumes.
Also included are several newspaper clippings concerning the formation and purpose of the Basin and Harbor Commission. All four volumes have been rebound into one book as follows:
"Record Book No. 1 of the Harbour Commissioners," 1852-1858
"Record Book No. 2 of the Harbor Commissioners," 1858-1875
"Basin and Harbor Commission: Minutes of Proceedings," 1873-1874
"Basin and Harbor Commission: Minutes of Proceedings," 1875-1876