PRINCE GEORGE'S COUNTY
Miscellaneous papers concerning roads, bridges, and ferries as handled by the circuit court and its predecessor, the county court. Records for the colonial period include bonds for maintaining bridges and a petition to open a road. Other bonds were given for repairing the courthouse and jail. Most later files concern proceedings to open, alter, or close public roads, and a few private ones, as mandated by Ch. 89, Acts of 1818. Documents include petitions, objections, court orders, commissioners returns, surveys and plats, and damage awards to landowners. The court sent copies or abstracts of road proceedings to the levy court, and later the county commissioners. The county government then arranged and paid for the required road work and compensation to landowners. Some materials resulted from acts of the General Assembly that authorized specific roads and bridges, and usually directed the surveys and plats to be filed with the court clerk for recording. Another law (Ch. 9, Acts of 1826) directed the levy court to prepare a list of all public roads in the county and to file the final document with the court clerk. The list was also recorded in 1830 in (Road Record) in series C1296. Other files pertain to ferries and ferry rates and include petitions and bonds. All responsibility for roads was transferred to the county commissioners by Ch. 220, Acts of 1853. The records are arranged chronologically by filing or recording date. The Archives will create an electronic finding aid from the records themselves.
|Date||Location||MdHR Number||MSA Citation|