Genealogy Published Sources
Before beginning research, it is always wise to check to see if anything has already been published on a family. Remember that not all published family histories are accurate. The compiler may have relied too heavily on hearsay, or he or she may not have consulted primary sources. There are some clues to help the researcher evaluate family histories.
In order to determine what may have been published on your family, consult
- On-line catalogs of various libraries and repositories.
- Indices to genealogical periodicals, many of which may be on-line.
- Rider's American Genealogical and Biographical Index and other biographical finding aids that may be on-line.
- Card catalogs in various libraries and other institutions.
- Publishers' catalogues. These include Frontier Press, The Genealogical Publishing Co., Heritage Books, Picton Press, TLC Genealogy, and Willow Bend-Family Line Publications
- Book reviews in various genealogical journals.